At We Blab Entertainment Magazine one of our all-time favorite shows is Modern Family now going into its 9th season we, asked Cecile K who runs the popular Instagram account OurModernFamily to rank her favorite 10 episodes from the past 9 years.
Told from the perspective of an unseen documentary filmmaker, the series offers an honest, often-hilarious perspective of family life from the viewpoint of three different families who are all related. Below are the top 10 episodes of Modern Family ranked by OurModernFamily along with a few honorable mentions from the managing editor of We Blab Entertainment.
10. A Tale of Three Cites (Season 8. Ep 1) - After recent trips take the Dunphys to New York; Mitch, Cam and Lily to the Midwest; and Jay, Gloria, Manny and Joe to Juarez, Mexico; the Pritchett-Dunphy-Tucker clan reunites in its eighth season premiere with all of the families converging at home for Father's Day.
Cecilie - A good, storyline with the Dunphys, where both kids and adults are in New York - without any of them knowing each other is in the same city.
9. The Alliance (Season 8 Ep. 8) - Haley's plan for a fun-filled girl's day with Rainer Shine's teen daughter may be a little more angst-filled than expected. Meanwhile, Luke finds himself in a compromising position with a widow at the club (played by Joely Fisher) and unwittingly helps his grandpa, Jay, with his petition.
Cecilie - A good, clever and well thought out episode. The Alliance is about the characters married to the Pritchetts, and how they help each other when making mistakes.
8. The Future Dunphys (Season 4. Ep 19) - At the hospital, Claire and Phil see the older version of their family; Mitchell and Cameron plan a day for Lily and Gloria; Manny and Jay go to a private school to look around.
Cecilie - The best part of this episode is the scene at the Vietnamese restaurant, but also seeing how the Dunphy kids could grow up to be.
7. Phil's Sexy, Sexy House (Season 7. Ep 7) - Everyone is at Jay and Gloria’s for post-Thanksgiving leftovers brunch and after a conversation about the sexy and sleek house that Phil is helping Mitch and Cam’s friend sell, everyone gets the same bright idea to sneak in there and have a little “fun.” Unbeknownst to one another they all choose the same day to go, and then it quickly escalates into a game of hide and hopefully don’t get found.
Cecilie - So many great moments in just one episode. Credit to the writers on bringing all the plots and characters together at the end, or should I say, Phil's sexy house.
6. Marco Polo (Season 6. Ep 4) - The Dunphys temporarily move into a cramped hotel room while their house is getting treated for mold, and Phil sees this as an opportunity to spend some quality time together, but Claire and the kids are less than enthused. Gloria becomes over protective when Manny starts dating an older, popular girl.
Cecilie - Excellent episode especially with all the Dunphys in one hotel room.
5. My Funny Valentine (Season 1. Ep 15) - Phil and Claire break from their traditional Valentine's Day dinner date and plan a little "role play" excursion. Meanwhile, Jay and Gloria's ideas of romance clash when he takes her to see David Brenner, and Mitchell and Cameron play Cupid for Manny.
Cecilie - I love this episode because of the different interpretations the families have on how to celebrate Valentines Day.
4. Coal Digger (Season 1. Ep 5) - The whole family is invited to Jay and Gloria's for some barbecue and football. However, an earlier incident at school between Manny and Luke makes things very awkward for Gloria and Claire, and then things escalate when a not-so-flattering label is uttered.
Cecilie - This episode of Modern Family brings all of the three families together - under one roof. All families are dysfunctional in their own way - and in Pritchett-Tucker-Dunphy family they manage to intertwine it with comedy.
3. Family Portrait (Season 1. Ep 24) - Claire makes an effort to take a new family portrait, but everybody is too busy to cooperate: Gloria and Manny go with Phil and Alex to a Lakers game and share an awkward moment on the jumbo tron, Cameron gets a job as a wedding singer while Mitchell takes care of Lily and a stray pigeon at home, and Luke interviews Jay for a school project.
Cecilie - This episode grasps all the funny and realistic moments leading up a family photoshoot. Claire's inner perfectionist comes to life in this episode - in a funny way.
2. Caught in the Act (Season 2. Ep 13) - It's Phil and Claire's anniversary, and when the kids go to surprise them with breakfast in bed, they get a surprise of their own. Jay and Gloria's plans for a Vegas vacation are ruined because of a brutally honest email accidentally sent to Claire, and Mitchell and Cameron try to get into a new restaurant owned by a mom at Lily's preschool.
Cecilie - Caught in the act, is hilarious because of the awkwardness between the Dunphy's, after the kids catch Phil and Claire in bed. The episode also has some funny punchlines.
1. Connection Lost (Season 6. Ep 16) - Claire's computer becomes the hub of all the family's activities when she gets stuck at the airport and is desperate to reach Haley after a big fight. After FaceTiming with Phil and the rest of the family to help track her down, Claire quickly turns to online snooping which inevitably becomes disturbing real quick and everyone gets sucked into the online drama.
Cecilie - I love how the entire episode is filmed on a Macbook, and how much work the producers have put into it. The storyline and all the small details are outstanding.
And we have a few honorable mentions from the first 9 years of Modern Family.
Truth Be Told (Season 1. Ep 17) - Jay accidentally kills Manny's pet turtle and lies about it. Mitchell makes a bold decision after he misses a family day because he's called in to work. Claire becomes jealous when Phil's ex-girlfriend pays a visit. Meanwhile Luke is terrified, because Alex, and Haley tease him into thinking he's been adopted, and his ex-girlfriend plans to take him back home after her visit.
Daniel - One of the most hilarious episode from the 1st season because, what older sister hasn't tried to convince their little brother he's adopted. The empire strikes back.
Me? Jealous? (Season 3. Ep 14) - Phil is so preoccupied with impressing his new business partner, Tad, that he doesn't notice what Claire believes is Tad being overtly inappropriate with her. Luke finally breaks up Alex and Haley from fighting, resulting in them dressing him up like a girl like they did in the old days.
Daniel - Betty Luke makes the perfect girl and, I hope she makes another cameo in a future episode.
The Old Wagon (Season 2 Ep. 1) - Phil reluctantly agrees to get rid of the Dunphy station wagon, which prompts a wave of nostalgia for the old car. Meanwhile, Cameron enlists Jay's help when Mitchell tries to build a princess castle for Lily and Manny asks a girl to come over to study.
Daniel - Growing-up my family had an old blue station that used to brake down, and this episode reminds me of the times riding in that old blue station wagon with my siblings.
Follow OurModernFamily on Instagram to see daily memes that will make you laugh.
Do you have a favorite episode of Modern Family that didn't make our list? Let us know in the comments below.